The CGEMÂ DXÂ 1400 HD combines Celestron'sÂ newly designedÂ CGEM DXÂ Computerized Equatorial mount with its new EdgeHD optical system. Â With more than 60% more light gathering power than the 11" telescope, the CGEM DX 1400Â is Celestronâ€™s largest optical system in its class. Â Featuring our premium StarBright XLT coatings and 14" of aperture, this telescopeÂ gives you the brightest, clearest views whether observing planetary or deep-sky objects.
CGEM DX MountÂ
The CGEM DXâ„¢ mount is the newest member of our fully computerized Equatorial mount series capable of carrying Celestronâ€™s high-end 11" and 14" optical tubes.Â The CGE PRO style, 2.75" leg tripod holds even our 14" optics securely while dampeningÂ vibration, which is ideal for both imaging and visual observing.Â Capable of holding 50 lbs of payload and slewing at 5Â° per second, you will be able to instantly point to any of the celestial objects in the database.
German Equatorial mounts are recognized for their rock solid stability, simple balancing and easy accessibility for attaching accessories.Â With sophisticated software features like the Hibernate function, the CGEM DXÂ can maintain its star alignment night after night without needing to be re-aligned, making it anÂ excellent choiceÂ for a permanent observatory facility.
Ergonomic Design - CGEM DX was designed to be ergonomically friendly with large Altitude and Azimuth adjustment knobs for quick and easy polar alignment adjustment. Â The internal RA and DEC motor wiring provides a clean look and an easy and trouble free set up.
Innovation - The CGEM DX series has a new innovative Polar alignment procedure called All-Starâ„¢.Â All-Star allows users to choose any bright star, while the software calculates and assists with polar alignment. Â Another great feature of the CGEM DX sure to please astroimagers, is the Permanent Periodic Error Correction (PEC) which will allow users to train out the worm gears periodic errors, while the mount retains the PEC recordings.
Performance - For objects near the Meridian (imaginary line passing from North to South), the CGEM DX will track well past the Meridian for uninterrupted imaging through the most ideal part of the sky.Â The CGEM mount has a robust database with over 40,000 objects, 100 user defined programmable objects and enhanced information on over 200 objects.
Power Management - Redesigned electronics deliver constant regulated power to the motors making them capable of driving the telescope even when not perfectly balanced.Â This allows the CGEM DX to have the payload capacity of that of much larger mounts without sacrificing smooth tracking motion and pointing accuracy across the entire sky.
New Optical Design
The EdgeHD optical system takes all of the compact power popularized by the Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope (SCT) and combines it with an improved high definition optical system for wide field, astrograph quality images. As a visual instrument, EdgeHD optics deliver pinpoint images even with your widest field eyepiece.Â You can search for all of the Messier Catalog objects, and see hundreds of other equally interesting NGC, IC and Caldwell objects with amazing clarity. Â For astroimaging, the EdgeHD optics produce aberration-free images across your favorite CCD or DSLR camera.Â All EdgeHD optics are designed to produce an extremely flat focal plane precise enough to match the strict tolerances of the largest commercial CCD detectors, allowing all stars to be in tight focus to the very edge of the chip.EdgeHD Whitepaper
The Celestron Product Development team has released a whitepaper outlining the technology behind EdgeHD. This paper describes the development goals, design decisions, optical performance, and their practical realization in 8-, 9.25-, 11-, and 14-inch apertures. We include cross-sections of the EdgeHD series, comparative spot diagrams for the EdgeHD and competing â€œcoma-freeâ€ Schmidt-Cassegrain designs, a table with specifications for visual and imaging, graphics showing how to place sensors at the optimum back-focus distance, and details on the construction and testing of the EdgeHD telescope series.
Some companies boast that their telescopes give diffraction limited stars in the very center of the field of view. EdgeHD optics not only produce diffraction limited stars on axis, but maintain diffraction limited stars across the entire field of view of many of the most popular astrophotography cameras. Â Even at the very edge of a full frame camera chip, the EdgeHD 14" delivers star sizes of only 1 arc second!
Along with the newly designed optics, the EdgeHD also has re-designed mechanics guaranteed to help you get the maximum performance from your instrument.
Mirror Locks â€“ To hold the mirror in place and reduce image shift during imaging.
Tube Vents - Each vent has an integrated 60 micron micro-mesh filter allowing hot air to be released from behind the primary mirror.
Fastar Versatility â€“ All EdgeHD optical tubes are equipped with a removable secondary mirror for fast f/2Â CCD imaging.Â Not only does imaging in the FASTAR configuration allow for exposure times that are 25 times faster than at f/10, but also yields a field of view five times wider.Â The perfect combination for imaging your favorite wide field objects in a fraction of the time.Â (FASTAR imaging requires a third party lens assembly in place of the secondary mirror).
82Â° Eyepiece - EdgeHD 14" optical tubes come with Celestron's top of the line 2" barrel eyepiece. With a 23 mm focal length and 82Â° AFOV, you get an incredible combination of power and wide field of view. Â PlusÂ this 6-elementÂ eyepiece is optimized to deliver pinpoint images when used with a flat field telescope.
Learn more about the benefits and features of this new optical system by going to the EdgeHD web page.
The EdgeHD 14" optics produce a focal plane three-times flatter than the standard equivalent SCT telescope with diffraction limited stars to the very edge of the SBIG STL6303 field of view!
- 14" EdgeHD Optics
- New CGEM DX Computerized Equatorial Mount
- Celestron's premium StarBright XLT coatings
- 9x50 finderscope to help accurately find objects
- Ultra sturdy 2.75" steel tripod with Accessory Tray
- Star diagonal provides more comfortable viewing position when observing objects that are high in the sky
- New aplanatic Schmidt telescope design produces aberration-free images across a wide field of view
- Mirror tension locks hold the primary mirror in place and reduce image shift
- Cooling vents allow hot air to be released from behind the primary mirror
- Fastar compatible for fast f/2 imaging
Computerized Mount Features
- Proven NexStar computer control technology
- 40,000 object database with over 100 user-definable objects and expanded information on over 200 objects
- New "All-star" Polar alignment uses any bright star for a quick and accurate Polar alignment
- Software Features include: Mount Calibration, Database Filter Limits, Hibernate, five Alignment Procedures
- Flash upgradeable hand control software and motor control units for downloading product updates over the Internet
- Custom database lists of all the most famous deep-sky objects by name and catalog number: the most beautiful double, triple and quadruple stars; variable stars; solar system objects and asterisms
- Permanent Programmable Periodic Error Correction (PEC) - corrects for periodic tracking errors inherent to all worm drives
- Drive Motors - Low Cog DC Servo motor with integrated optical encoders offer smooth, quiet operation and long life. The motor armatures are skewed to minimize cogging which is required for low speed tracking.
- Internal Cable wiring for trouble-free setup and transportation
- Designated six-pin RJ-12 modular jack, ST-4 compatible guide port
- Autoguide port and Auxiliary ports located on the electronic plate for long exposure astrophotography
- Double-line, 16-character Liquid Crystal Display Hand Control with backlit LED buttons for easy operation of goto features
- RS-232 communication port on hand to control the telescope via a personal computer
- Includes NexRemote telescope control software, for advanced control of your telescope via computer
- GPS compatible with optional SkySync GPS Accessory
- Precision machined 40 mm diameter steel Polar shafts supported by multiple tapered roller bearings and ball bearings.
- Secure power plug ensures that the mount's power source is not accidentally disconnected
- Optical Design: EdgeHD
- Aperture (mm): 356 mm (14 in)
- Focal Length: 3910 mm (154 in)
- Focal Ratio: 11
- Focal Length of Eyepiece 1 (mm): 23 mm (0.91 in)
- Magnification of Eyepiece 1: 170 x
- Finderscope: 9x50
- Star Diagonal: 2"
- Mount Type: New CGEM DX Computerized Equatorial
- Tripod: Adjustable, Stainless Steel
- Power Requirements: Car battery adapter
- Highest Useful Magnification: 841 x
- Lowest Useful Magnification: 51 x
- Limiting Stellar Magnitude: 15.3
- Resolution (Rayleigh): 0.39 arc seconds
- Resolution (Dawes): 0.33 arc seconds
- Light Gathering Power (Compared to human eye): 2586 x
- Apparent Field of View: .48 °
- Secondary Mirror Obstruction: 4.5 in in (114 mm)
- Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Diameter: 32%
- Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Area: 10%
- Optical Coatings: Starbright XLT Coatings
- Optical Tube Length: 24 in (610 mm)
- Total Telescope Kit Weight: 185 lbs (84 kg)
- Weight of Counterweights: 2 x 22 lbs
- Slew Speeds: Nine slew speeds
- Tracking Rates: Sidereal, Solar and Lunar
- Tracking Modes: EQ North and EQ South
- Alignment Procedures: 2-Star Align, Quick Align, 1-Star Align, Last Alignment, Solar System Align
- Computer Hand Control: Double line, 16 character Liquid Crystal Display; 19 fiber optic backlit LED buttons
- Database: 40,000+ objects, 100 user defined programmable objects. Enhanced information on over 200 objects
- GPS: Optional SkySync GPS Accessory
- Warranty: 2-year Telescope Warranty